Widom Teeth

7:51 PM Edit This 0 Comments »
About 3 weeks ago I was having some extreme pain with my wisdom teeth. I went to the dentist and she said that I needed to have my wisdom teeth removed because 1) my mouth was too small for them to come in and 2) my bottom ones were coming in sideways. So she sent my x-rays off to the oral surgeon and I waited to hear from them. A few days later they called to make an appointment. The earliest they could get me in was June 2009. I took the appointment and asked if I could be put on a list that if anyone cancelled I could get in on short notice because I could not wait till June.

On Monday I got a phone call from the oral surgeon that there were two cancellations during the week and they were wondering if I was available to come in. It was now or June. The options were Wednesday at 2pm and Friday at 9am. I picked Friday because I didn't want to wait all day and it would just be over with as early as possible.

I was very nervous about it, I wanted to be sedated because I could not be awake while it was going on. I was not allowed to eat or drink for 8 hours before the surgery, so Thursday night I had supper and that was it until after my teeth were gone..

I got up early on Friday morning, showered, read the paper, and avoided the kitchen at all costs. I wanted some of my mom's banana bread so bad. My mom showed up just after 8 and we went downtown. Downtown at 8am is the best, very little traffic and lots of parking spots. We quickly found a spot and went up the elevator to the 6th floor. I walked into the office and went up to the receptionist to let her know I was here. She looked at me and said "Your appointment isn't until 2 pm today"

I shook my head saying "No, my appointment is at 9. I got a call on Monday saying there were two options Wednesday at 2 and Friday at 9"

"Well I'm sorry for the confusion. Can you come back today at 2?"

"I guess so" I replied.

My mom and I got back into the elevator and I was pissed off that my appointment was messed up because I was now very hungry and angry. I was all ready to have the surgery and now I was going to have to wait. 2 o'clock was so very far away. My mom and I did some shopping then went back to my place to make some soup and Jello. We spent the afternoon knitting and watching the Olympics.

Now we were back to Oral Surgeons office. I was okay until I got into room to watch the movie. My heart beat was going faster and faster, I was becoming very nervous. After the movie the nurse came in to put in my IV. This was the first time I had ever had an IV. I HATE needles, so I looked away took a deep breath and it wasn't that bad. I sat there were a while waiting for the doctor. He finally came in said a few things to me and gave me some drugs that knocked me right out.

I was out of it for a bit, I don't really remember going to the car or getting home. I had gauze in my mouth that was soaked with blood. We changed the gauze and I had to wait till it stopped bleeding so I could eat my soup. It was barley warm and it was gross but Justin said I wasn't allowed to have it any hotter. It was difficult to eat anything because my lip was still frozen and the soup and ice cream dripped down my chin. I should have enjoyed my frozen state because after the freezing went away the pain took over. I was starting to wonder why I had gotten my teeth out at all. My face was square and fat and my diet has been nothing but soup, jello, ice cream and yogurt. The pain killers are great but I wake up in the middle of the night in pain. I have the best fiance though who goes and gets me my pills and ice packs and whatever else I need.

Its Sunday now. I'm still eating soup, my face is still puffy and I am in a lot of pain. I just want to feel better. I don't think we will be going on our vacation anymore this week....I'm off to take more pain killers and get a new ice pack.