Memoir Monday

9:02 PM Posted In , , , Edit This 4 Comments »













Winter Memories

The past few winters have been cold but there has not been much snow. When I was younger I remember walls and mountains of snow. Some mornings the snow would be drifted up our front door so high I wondered if we were ever going to get out of our house.

In school we would create these HUGE snow forts and houses. The one game I remember that we would play was "star trek". We made this space ship that had a bunch of different rooms and we even had one of those "beam" machines. If the teachers would have let us we would have stayed out and played in the snow all day.

I can't remember why but the one year they piled all the snow from the streets behind the school and they created this huge hill that went the whole length of the football field. It was the perfect hill for a snowball fight war. Of course it was frowned upon to throw snowballs---for good reason, they really hurt. But one day when the snow was not so icy Mr. Proznick joined in our snowball fight.

I have always wanted to write a story about there being a snowstorm at school and everyone gets trapped in the school for a weekend and what chaos would happen!! Maybe I'll still write it.

I grew up in a house with a flat roof which is very unpractical for the winter. The snow would pile and pile and get very heavy and sometimes it would cause our ceiling to dip and leak, so every winter a couple times a year we have to climb on the roof of the house and shovel the snow off of it. A couple winters ago my mom, my brother and I were on the roof shoveling snow and instead of using the ladder Adam and I jumped off the roof into our front lawn of fluff. We sunk right to the grass but it was awesome.

The snow lightly falls tonight and I think about all the good memories of snow and I can't wait to make more!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love snow forts!

Anonymous said...

I remember loving snow, but so long ago. As an adult after the first or second or even third snowfall I'm ready to move on, but then comes February and March...and by April, ugh!
bonnie

GirlGriot said...

Ashlee, I love this! I love the image of your snow forts and space ships (you reminded me of the film Amacord with the walls of snow, love that your teacher joined the snowball fights, love the image of you jumping off the roof into a pillow of snow ... just love this!

Anonymous said...

This line, "I grew up in a house with a flat roof which is very unpractical for the winter." gave me such a clear image. Everything that followed that line was so easy to envision!